Subject: [Leica] Re: New M2 Owner Questions
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:08:26 -0500

Jason Carroll <jacebc@mac.com> wrote (edited):

> Well, after much research and hand-wringing, it appears that
> I just purchased a Leica M2 (SN 930632) from Ebay. As a first
> time Leica owner, I need help with a few questions....
>
> * 35mm Lens Options -- Used or Voightlander?
> I am thinking of starting with a 35mm lens for awhile, and a
> new Leica lens is not in my budget. Should I look for a used
> one on Ebay or get a new Voightlander with a adapter mount?
> If I get a used one, which should I look for or avoid?

Welcome to the M2 club! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 35mm
Summicrons. I have a chrome oldie (c. 1962) that's served me well for over
25 years. (I've also used the latest aspherical version and may end up
getting one at some point.) These lenses are plentiful on the used market
and most likely on eBay as well. The fourth version, produced from 1979
through '97, is likely to provide the best Leica bang for the buck.

I have the Voigtländer 35 f/1.7 as well. It's a good lens, certainly
outperforming my old f/3.5 screw mount Leitz Summaron, but not IMO in the
same league as the Summicrons. I'd give it higher marks if it were capable
of smoother out-of-focus rendition (bokeh) at wider apertures. On a tight
budget it's the one I'd go for, though I'd still plan on getting a Summicron
too in the future.

- -Dave-