Subject: Re: [Leica] E******* WAS sherman
From: Dean Chance <mreyebal@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:57:55 +0000

on 12/13/00 8:10 PM, Nathan Wajsman at wajsman@webshuttle.ch wrote:

> I saw an extensive exhibition of Eggleston's stuff in Denmark last
> winter--mostly various banalities from American suburbs, with strange
> compositions and tilted horizons. I admit to being less familiar with
> Sherman's
> work but I did see several of her prints at another exhibit in Denmark
> this
> summer (part of a group show called "Veronica's Revenge" or something
> like
> that). Huge prints of what appeared to be vomit on the ground.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I realize that many of the artists whom we consider
> to be classics today were ridiculed and misunderstood in their own time.
> I make an honest effort to see and understand modern art, including art
> photography. I even subscribe to Katalog, a Danish art photography
> magazine published in English. But I just don't get the meaning of
> Eggleston and Sherman. Maybe I am just too dense...
>
> Nathan
>
> Johnny Deadman wrote:
>
>> Fair enough, but that surprises me about the technique thing. Have you ever
>> seen Sherman or Eggleston's prints? Both of them are technically quite
>> astounding. Eggleston's in particular because of his use of the dye transfer
>> technique. Quite likely to fry your eyeballs.
>> --
>> Johnny Deadman
>>
>> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
>
> --
> Nathan Wajsman
> Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland
>
> e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
>
> General photo site: http://belgiangator.tripod.com/
> Belgium photo site: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman/
> Motorcycle site: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1704/

 I have been looking at Eggleston's work quite a lot since I got exposed to
all the fussing about him on the LUG. My face turns scarlet as I type this,
but I am really starting to like his work. He is the master of the
"non-decisive moment." The Ansel Adams of blah. I have not seen his prints
in person, though.

dean chance