Subject: Re: [Leica] Conventional M3 Loading
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:20:47 EST

In a message dated 12/13/00 4:15:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
msmall@roanoke.infi.net writes:

<< >Flip the baseplate off, old film falls out, put in your pocket. Turn the
 >camera upside down in your left hand, hold the baseplate between 3rd and
4th
 >fingers pull the spool out, it's in your right hand - oops, you just ran
out
 >of hands. Stop, put some stuff down and you know the rest.<>>

 <Actually, what most folks do is to put the spool in the pocket together
 with the baseplate.  Let the camera hang down on the strap.  Remove the
 film cannister with one hand, the take-up spool with the other.  Connect
 them as Father Barnack intended.  Turn the camera upside down and insert
 the two film spools into the base of the camera.  Once this is in place,
 remove the base plate from the pocket and install it on the camera. >

Method II evidently requires uses of a neck strap.  I have used it
effectively.  With a little practice, the RL is indeed quicker, however, with
or without the neck strap.  By the way, it can be used in much the same way
as the original spool, by threading the leader clockwise rather than
counter-clockwise, if positiveness is an issue.
This thread seems to have drifted.  There would appear to be little purpose
in debating the validity of the personal experience of another.:)

Joe Sobel