Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Nick Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:05:48 +0000

>Please forgive me selectively quoting your post.
>
>You seem to be implying that to be art it has to have a "positive" spin on
>it. I cannot believe that you actually think this. You would thus exclude
>Pablo Picasso's "Guernica" and I could go on for many many hours listing art
>works from all time periods that do not elevate the human spirit as you seem
>to say they should.
>
>John Collier

Yes, John, you're absolutely right, it's a minefield and mine is not
a well-informed or authoritative voice. But many people see Picasso's
'Guernica' as more than just its subject matter, horrific though it
is. I have to say I see much beauty in it, but again, I am being as
subjective here as I was in my earlier post.

Essentially, I do not think one can criticise the personal tastes of
others, but I do feel that art is more than social commentary and
that it does have dimensions that were not being considered in the
thread. But who would dare hazard a definition of art!! I just wanted
to broaden the discussion. Sorry if it offended anyone.
Nick