Subject: Re: [Leica] Never-Load Kit
From: "Stephen Holloway" <hollowst@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:44:20 +0100

>From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
>
>What rumours?  Check with Tamarkin or KEH or Chatterton -- all have NOS
>Never-Load kits on hand almost constantly, left-over unsold stock from
>camera stores.  Talk to the folks at Leica USA about the kit.  Speak with
>most Leica repair folks about THEIR regard for the kits.  For that matter,
>check out the other postings on this topic on the LUG.
>
>And reread my first message on this topic for my specific complaints.

The rumour that I don't give credence to is that it doesn't work. I wonder
how many films these guys at Tamarkin or KEH or Chatterton or even Leica USA
have actually put through a rapidload kit.

I can quite believe that shelves are heaving with them because they seem to
have had a very bad press.

Your first post made this point:

>The nice part about the conventional methodology of the M3 is that > it is
>POSITIVE loading.  As with LTM cameras, if you keep to the > basic M3
>technology, you KNOW the film is properly loaded.

This says nothing about the rapidload kit because you haven't specified in
what way it isn't positive. Isn't the evidence of a spinning rewind knob
positive enough for you? That's all you should need - it's an operational
verification.

And again (this is the last time I'll ask this, if you don't want to answer
that's fine, you can have the last word if you want or not):

What are the specific defects of the rapidload kit? (The actual kit that is,
not something else or some shopkeeper's heresay that he heard from some guy
he knew).

Whatever, it works for me. It's fast and positive and I churn through
boatloads of film without a single hiccup. Who'd have thought it?

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos