Subject: Re: [Leica] very very very sharp lens
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:17:00 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Johnny Deadman wrote:
> >
> > I know this will interest at least one person on this list.
> >
> > A whiles ago I bought a really beat up Rolleiflex T2 for somewhat less than
> > a new M baseplate. The lens had a fair few cleaning marks and it had been
> > around the world so I wasn't even sure the ground glass was still in
> > alignment. Anyhow, I shot a few rolls with it but really forgot about it for
> > the longest while. Anyhow, having bought an Epson 1640 flatbed which is
> > actually half-decent at scanning MF, and having also bought a super-sharp
> > Rodenstock 4x loupe (lovely thing!), I dug them out.
> >
> > Yoinks!
> >
> > Now I see what Mark Rabiner is going on about when he (heretically and half
> > jokingly) claims his Rolleiflex is sharper than his Hassie.
> >
> > And I had called this camera a dog! It's now looking like an extraordinary
> > bargain.
> >
> > Still a problem with some internal reflections which I think needs tackling
> > with matte paint, but still.
> >
> > --
> > John Brownlow
> >
> Johnny! The 80mm Zeiss Planar's on my Hasselblad and IN my Rolleiflex are the
> same it seems in name only!!!
> The lens for my Hasselblad is a CF T* coated.
> The lens in my Rolleiflex 2.8 F type 2 is not T* or otherwise super multicoated
> (early 1970's) but it's advantage apparently from what i learn on Marc James
> Small's Rollei list (the RUG) is it's internal baffling.
> Although the fact that is is a different optical formula might also be an issue.
> I just see it as the difference between ad on glass and built in glass.
> The difference is baffling? :)
> Thought the Rolleiflex had a fraction of the parts of a Hasselblad but maybe not.
> Certainly no mirrors, bouncing or otherwise!
>
> mark rabiner
> :)
> Rolleiflex: the best deal in photography!
If by T2 we are refering to the Rolli T version 2 I believe the lens is the
veneralbe Tessar.  The Rolli T was the replacement for the Rollicord line and
was less expensive then the Automats.  It did not have the svelt loading
system but opted for the line up the arrows like most other medium format
cameras.  The shutter release was also a much simpler design pushing in from
the side rather than from the front eliminating complicated linkeges.  Rolli
also replaces the two wheels for selecting the shutter speed and aprature with
levers.  The Rolli T did however have a removable hood and could use the prism finder.
John Shick
John Shick

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] very very very sharp lens)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] very very very sharp lens)