Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #248
From: "asparaco" <asparaco@metafour.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 05:47:31 -0600

> Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:57:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I black tape my Leica?
> Kurt wrote:
> That's the most idiotic question I've ever heard. It does not deserve
> an answer.
> > I've been reading that some people like to cover their Leica's logo
> > and emblem with black tape. I'm debating whether or not to do this.
> > Doesn't it leave gummy stick adhesive on the camera?
> >
> > The Leica M6 seems relatively inconspicuous as it is, does tape
> > really make a difference?
> >
> > Tristan Tom
> > NO ARCHIVE
I have to confess all of my cameras are covered with black "gaffers" tape. I
am in the motinpitcherbiness so it is a common item. If you get a top brand
like Permcel or the like you will find it is a very durable cloth tape which
does  not leave a residue. I travel a lot-my cameras get tossed into
assistant cameramans ditty bags, hang from dollies, get used by PA's, DA's
and anyone else available. Over a period of time as the tape wears at a
particular point I add another patch and once every few years I remove it
and replace it completely. I tape these cameras for the following reasons 1)
the tape is not as slippery as the camera finish, 2) helps keep dust and
moisture out of the guts and takes abrasion instaed of the camera finish, 3)
after many years of consistent and hard use will leave the finish of the
camera Excellent ++ instead of Excellent+ which equals higher resale, 4) the
tape makes a $1500 camera body look like a $15 camera body- in the course of
travel you are inevitably exposed to moments where there could be  a grab
and run or a pickup and pass- at a bar-in a airline travel
lounge-restroom-anything you can do give yourself an edge saves a whole lot
of hassels. These comments represent  my experience only.

regards
asparaco/chicago

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #248)