Subject: Re: [Leica] New R8 and gyrfalcon at Plum Island, MA
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:10:31 -0500

David,

Unfortunately, that activity which provides the wherewithal to buy
film and equipment will keep me from joining you tomorrow for the
gyrfalcon.  Good luck on the quest!

Joseph Yao has already spoken on the SCA adapter you'll need for
your Metz flash.  To that, I'll add the suggestion that you keep a
copy of the adapter's manual in your bag as that little device has a
lot of features packed inside.

I myself had hoped today to nail visually and photographically one
of the snowy owls that's been reported on the Connecticut
shoreline. There are at http://www.ctbirding.org/ct_bird_photos.htm
a couple of non-Leica photos of these birds along with a fascinating
video of one regurgitating a rather large pellet.  Although all the
requisite photo gear was with me, it all stayed in the pack because
I couldn't locate one.  However, the day turned out very well
anyway. Through some birding connections I was able to watch
both with Trinovids and with unaided eye at a distance of about 3
feet  a female rufous hummingbird, a western U.S. species that is
a major rarity in Connecticut.  The bird will be trapped during the
week and turned over to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator who will
house it through the winter.  Because I was a guest in someone's
house and because of possible stress to the bird, I left all the
camera gear in the car.

One item that made the time on the shoreline bearable was a
newly acquired of Thermax glove liners.  These provide a measure
of protection against the cold metal of tripod legs and lens barrels
and are thin enough to allow the fingers to change shutter speeds,
nudge a focus ring or trip the shutter release.  I learned the
importance of good gloves when I forget mine the cold morning
when  I was trying to get a decent photograph of an unusual goose.
 My hands gave out before I could get a good shot.

Roy