Subject: [Leica] New R8 and gyrfalcon at Plum Island, MA
From: DavidS8451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:37:21 EST

Dear Roy and other New England birders,

I took my brand new R8 and new-to-me 250 f 4 out to Plum Island this
afternoon to take some sunset/moonrise pictures.  When I got there I found
many cars lined up with scopes pointed out over the marsh.  It turns out that
a gyrfalcon has been seen there regularly for the last week!  I only had my
binoculars with me, but waited for half an hour without seeing her before
commencing with my original plan.

I went down to parking lot #6 and out to the beach and shot a roll of Prove F
100 on aperture priority with both multi-patern metering and center-weighted
metering selected.  It was pretty cold, and I really appreciated the ease
with which I could lock up the mirror and set the self-timer with my frozen
fingers.  The clouds were rolling in, but I think I got some nice shots as
the moon became visible through the clouds, even if the sky was relatively
monochromatic.__On the way back I got a great view of a coyote 50 yards from
the road.  It looked as if it were "pointing" like a hunting dog.  Great time!

To keep track of the gyrfalcon, see:
http://www.virtualbirder.com/bmail/massbird/latest.html

and for one expert's report, see:
http://www.virtualbirder.com/bmail/massbird/200012/09/index.html#12

I'm going to try to get back there tomorrow for this rare opportunity.  If
anyone wants to join me in the rain, e-mail me off list, since I get the LUG
digest.

BTW, I have the Metz 32MZ-3 with the 351 module.  Is it true that this flash
won't work with the R8 TTL system even with the 3501 module?  Do I need to
buy a new flash for the R8?

All the best,
Dave Schaller
Newton, MA