Subject: [Leica] Dark deeds done in a cold cold land.
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:13:23 -0700

I have been reading all the posts on the cold and decided to test my two
Leica M cameras in the fairly cold weather we are experiencing right now. It
is not that cold, only about -23 degrees C (-10 degrees F) but cold enough
to see how the cameras would perform in extreme situations. The cameras are
a 1960's M2 (moderately recent CLA) and a new this spring M6-TTL with fairly
fresh batteries. The cameras were placed outside and checked at 15 minute
intervals.

15 m: cameras cool to touch, all functions fine and TTL's meter works
normally.

30m:  cameras cold to touch, lenses getting stiff to turn, all functions
fine and TTL's meter works normally.

45m:  cameras very cold to touch, lenses stiff to turn, hurts to hold camera
against forehead, all functions fine and TTL's meter works normally.

60m:  cameras burn flesh on touch, lenses very stiff to turn, all functions
fine and TTL's meter works normally.

75m:  cameras burn flesh on touch, lenses very stiff to turn, all functions
fine and TTL's meter barely working but still accurate (diodes pulse dim and
bright and go out sooner than normal).

90m:  cameras burn flesh on touch, lenses very stiff to turn, all functions
fine and TTL's meter barely working but still accurate (diodes pulse on and
off and go out quickly).

Test suspended due to the feeling that the tester was beginning to look like
a silly ass! Tough little cameras though.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Dark deeds done in a cold cold land.)