Subject: [Leica] re:Fuji 645 vs Leica (sortof ot)
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:59:14 -0800

Martin wrote..

I 'had' one of those, and it was OK, but it was not very good with exposure
control.  It had aperture priority only, and the flash would only sync at
1/45...  The pictures were good, but all those automatic controls really
did more damage than good, at least for what I used it to shoot...  I'm not
saying it was a bad camera, it just didn't suit my needs.  It also did not
have a fast lense.  Instead, I bought a GS645, which is a Fuji 645
folder...fixed focal length, f3.5...nothing automatic, and I really like
it...slightly finicky though.

I had the GS645 75mm/3.5, and the nonfolding 45mm and 60mm versions. All
were excellent cameras. The 45 was scale focuser but the others had true
rangefinders and LED meters, otherwise, manuals all around. The lenses were
awesome. I have a lot of big RA-4 prints up to 25X38 that I made with the
60mm 645. I found it very compatible with the Leica style photography I do.
It was not at all a "tripod camera", more a big Leica. I went around the
world with the GS645W , a M6, and a GR1. I'll probably get another 645, they
are common at swap meets in California for about $500. At present I'm
concentrating on 35mm technique and printing, but, Roger, if you want a MF
backup camera you will be at home with the manual Fuji models.

Bill Lawlor

Replies: Reply from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] re:Fuji 645 vs Leica (sortof ot))