Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Ansel Adams
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:45:23 +1100

Dean Chance wrote:A

> You guys keep joking around about this f/1 group, but I think it's really a
> terrific idea. Organize a project! Put together an exhibition! Nighttime is
> the righttime! Figure out a way to shoot f/1 in blazing daylight. Let's go!

There is really no point in shooting F1 in daylight. The whole atmosphere is
different at night.
Depth of field at night is often not at all important. Especially where you want
to do hand held shots. E.G. in pubs, theaters or shop windows in the evening. At
least that's what I found.
I reckon, that's what the Noctilux was created for.
All your concentration is points to one spot only. what's before or behind seems
not really important. An exception may be a night time shot of a city or similar.
But then you use a tripod and f8 with 30 sec.

In daytime, shooting with F1, doesn't seem to make much sense, unless you want to
make a portrait with only part of the  face in focus. I have seen shots like this
and they can look quite impressive. however for other shots in daylight i would
say, you need to have some depth of field, to get at least some hint as to the
fore or background.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re:Ansel Adams)