Subject: Re: [Leica] Mapplethorp
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:53:03 -0800

><Snip>
> To be "actionable", perhaps so far as the "dead" part in the U.S. goes (but bear in mind the worldwide reach  of the web) and "public figure" so far as one "standard" in the US is concerned (again, caveat re worldwide web) but to be "defamatory", nope.

A friend of mine brought her small kids into Mapplethorp for a family portrait
when Mapplethorp was in a wheelchair in his last year.

Cost her a mere 9 grand i found out.

First thing Mapplethorp said to her and her kids was "off with your clothes!"

No clothes were removed my friend is not easily swayed.

A great investment, I doubt she ever cared. Not bad shots i saw them hanging on
the walls, 8x10's in matts.

Incredibly her kids were both killed last year in an tragic accident.

Evil magic from the Mapplethorp deal some might think. Not me.

I'm sure Mapplethorp had some medical bills and didn't mind the business.

One of my first models when i was still in college married one of Mapplethorps
main cronies: Marcus Leatherdale.
She ended up in one of Mapplethorps books, a head shot!
I think my shot of her was better!
(it won an award)

another one from mark rabiner