Subject: RE: [Leica] Never again!
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:05:44 -0800

- -----Original Message-----
From: Robert Appleby [mailto:robert.appleby@tin.it]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 6:31 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: [Leica] Never again!

"Barthes emphasises the need to probe the history of social arrangements.
Rather than scratching human history to reveal the solid rock of a
universal human nature, he argues, a progressive humanism must scour nature
to discover history, and finally to establish Nature itself as
historical.... It is the superficial "humanizing" of others, rather than
the empathetic probing of different lifeways, experiences, and interests
that creates the crises of understanding that break open at times of war."

Just when I'd run out of hard things to think about, the LUG comes through again!  Thank you Robert, for that little jewel.  I guess those 94 years haven't all been wasted...  "the superficial humanizing of others" -  we are not all the same; we are all indeed different from our fellows - what a hopeful thought!

Paul