Subject: [Leica] Berlin exhibitions
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:58:38 +0200

While on a trip to Berlin last week-end I went and had a look at two
exhibitions.

The Neue Nationalgalerie  shows Helmuth Newton's "Work"  (that's what
the exhibition is called) until 7th January. His wife Alice Springs
is the curator, and they show pictures covering his whole career. He
is 80 now so there are a lot of pictures. Some of the 1970 pictures
look quite dated now, although they were the cutting edge of that
type of photography at the time. Some of the very large prints are
'high density laser prints' and I could not tell the difference from
a silver RC print. Looking at them at a close distance, the grain
structure is exactly like on a large conventional format silver print
looked at through as strong loupe. Tri-X and D-76 that is. Newton has
probably influenced photography a lot, but I do not get excited over
the pictures any more. Actually I found it more interesting to look
at the audience, both the way they dressed (this obviously is the
'in' exhibition that attracts a lot of the artistic snobs) and to
hear and see how they reacted to the pictures. Photography is
permitted inside the exhibition (no flash, but I don't have one
anyway) and I hope I got a few good photos there.

Camera Art (or Camera Work) is a commercial gallery in the
Kantstrasse and they had (yes, had: last day was Sunday) a Will
McBride exhibition. A wealth of pictures, many of them with his
personal remarks written in pencil on the passe partout. There were
pictures of JFK in the Oval Office, of Adenauer in the garden, but
also many of those pictures that redefined photo journalism in
Germany in the sixties and seventies ('twen' magazine to mention just
one example). Many of the latter photos are time-less although they
picture hippie generation type people that are less common today -
but may be with us again sometime. The prints were priced between two
and five thousand Deutschmarks, and, judging from the little red
dots, turnover was good. While I was there, there was this tall,
thin,  gentleman with glasses and an hearing aid complaining that
some red dots had fallen off and that  that was not good for sales,
because if people saw a lot of red dots they would want to buy even
more. That was Will himself, and I had an opportunity to say hello,
shake his hand and take a photograph.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist