Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:22:16 -0500

Horst-
You know what scares me? It is the thought that a chubby cute baby, and I am
speaking about Hitler's chilhood photo, or that an electrician (Eichmann) or
a chicken farmer (Himmler?) could come togehter in a confluence of evil such
as you mentioned. It is not a question of where did these monsters come
from, but rather- what is keeping some innocuous group of people elsewhere
from becoming monsters themselves?
That is what is frightening- you cannot predict on heredity, or even some
environmental factor that swings a person or group of people to become
monsters. All the mass murderers, and serial killers I have read about,
there was a common thread said of them-" He really didn't seem to be that
kind of person..." or they say. "He was such a good boy, and so helpful and
friendly..."
The really frightening thing is that it could happen again- it probably
will, and there is no genetic, psychological, physical or other test to tell
us what might happen to cause it or to help prevent it.
In a similar vein, we never know when an aborted fetus might have become
another Albert Schweitzer, another Mother Teresa, or great statesman that
would save millions of lives with masterful diplomacy..
You pays your money, and you takes your chances!
Dan (