Subject: Re: [Leica] Coating a Plywood Darkroom Sink
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 22:08:33 -0800

Steve LeHuray wrote:

> > paul nelson wrote:
> >>
> >> All,
> >> I'm just about to start coating my plywood sink,
> >> 6'X2', and was hoping someone could give me some
> >> pointers on achieving a durable and water tight
> >> finish.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Paul
> >>
> > Marine grade plywood.
> > Get mask
> > when all sanded wipe it down with lacquer thinner before you lay down the
> epoxy.
> > Mix up the epoxy in a shallow flat container or it will burst into flames
> > this happened to me
> > re coat that the specific right time; not too long or too short
> > we had to set our alarm to do our third in the middle of the night.
> > I put together the sink with the same epoxy i coated it with.
> > Its been ten years and no sign of a problem.
> > I used West Systems two part epoxy resin at a marine supply store.
> > mark rabiner
> > :)
> >

> WEST (Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique) System, comes in a fast and slow
> hardner. If you get the fast it will start to 'kick' off at about the 20
> minute mark, so, I suggest getting the slow hardner which will give you
> another 15/20 minutes to apply. Also suggest you get the 1 gallon size and I
> highly recommend spending the extra few dollars for the WEST pumps.
>
> I have been using the WEST System for 25 years on my wood sailboat. Its
> great.
>
> Steve
> Annapolis

I agree the slow stuff would probably be better and if they have special
Saturation stuff than I'd use that as well. I'd heard of special stuff for
laminating but not this.
And yes the pumps is what i used as well and are a must.
I bought books on wooden boat building.
A darkroom sink is a wooden boat in reverse.
Instead of keeping the water out you are keeping the water in.
Mark rabiner