Subject: [Leica] Re:400 speed films
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 14:49:21 -0800

before switching to delta 400, i was using agfapan 400 - maybe it's time to
give that film another chance. i'm not against tmax either, and will also
consider switching to that. i'd like to settle on just 1 film for most of
my needs (which is what i did with d400) and really learn it.

time to do some comparison testing...

guy

- ------------------------------

Guy, I've been doing a bit of that testing in the past few weeks. I am
surprised to find that I like TMY, Tri-X and HP5+  MUCH BETTER processed in
good old D76 1:1 with hand agitation than my usual method. The usual method
for several years has been to use XTOL and a roller processor at the times
Kodak suggests for roller drums. I had been getting too much contrast on the
roller but couldn't find the right adjustment. Hand agitation exactly as per
Kodak's suggestion produces beautiful results in D76 1:1. And as somebody
warned me, outstanding smooth tonal values with Plus-X. Mavbe the big yellow
gods know what they are doing. I used to do Plus-X at 64 with a yellow
filter in D76 1:1 in the old days. Now I remember why.

I saw a guy driving a hot rod roadster with a 1953 flathead ford V8 today
and thought that would go good with my M3, D76 and some Plus-X.

Bill Lawlor

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re:400 speed films)