Subject: [Leica] Shutter speed accuracy
From: jarmo.korhonen@yle.fi
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:22:04 +0200

The other day I took my M3 (973 xxx from '59) which I bought last summer in
Italy to a camera repair shop here in Helsinki for a CLA. We decided to do
the job in January, but the mechanic did a test for shutter speed accuracy.
Fast speeds were almost perfect, but slow speeds from 1/15 sec. were too
fast. Something like curtain return spring was stucked, but would be okay
after cleaning. The camera has had a CLA somewhere in the history, because
there is no wax seal in the uppermost screw in the bayonet.

Then the guy said: Let's test your M6TTL too! Amazingly enough the fast
speeds were more off on the M6 than the M3. But the worst part is that the
curtains travel at different speeds causing an unevenness of about half a
stop in the exposure. The other side of negative/slide is half a stop
lighter/darker than the other side! I had not actually noticed this in real
shooting, but maybe I have to look at my slides in new light. The guy said
also that this is common and well within factory tolerances. 1/10th of a
stop accuracy of my Gossen meter seems to be a real overkill.

Regards,
Jarmo Korhonen

PS. I also think that Leicas and Alfa Romeos have lots of soul. I have a 90
2.5V6 from '85 and a 164 3.0V6 from '89, which I use for daily commuting.
So I must be a real Alfa user : ) : )