Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: Maciver2@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:14:56 EST

In a message dated 11/30/2000 8:56:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
simon@camera-craftsman.com writes:

<< Incidentaly, do you think it a
 >coincidance that the two axis powers of Japan and Germany at war with
 >virtually the whole world and despite defeat they picked themselves up

Both countries also had much of their industrial base bombed to extinction
and rebuilt post-war with Marshall Plan $. Thus, they entered into competion
equipped with new factories and new machinery, tooling, etc., which gave them
a major leg up. If North Vietnam had had the sense to lose what it calls "The
American War", it's economy, revived by U.S. $, would rival Japan's and
Korea's today. Glad all the silliness about ethnic origins seems to be
calming down... One would think that Portugal was a so-called "third world
country" if one's knowledge was limited to some of the list comments... Fine
old country with a noble history, a strong poetic tradition (Fernando Pessoa
leaps to mind, as does Jose Regio and Miguel Torga) and a reputation for the
manufacture of fine electrical machinery. Everyone knows that the essence of
all manufacture is in the quality control and that, it seems to me, is what
one pays for.
Happiness to everyone,
MacIver.