Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong Hospitality - (Long!) - Part 1
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:45:51 EST

Subj:   Hong Kong Hospitality - Part 2  (Long!)
Date:   11/29/00 8:21:20 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:   TTAbrahams
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
To: leica@topica.com

The first time I went to Hong Kong was a scant two years ago and Joseph Yao
organized the first LUG dinner there. It was a great evening and since that
time they have organized several more and it has always bugged me that I have
not been able to attend. This time Joseph did his magic again and promised
another one. That was enough incentive for me to go so from Tokyo I caught a
JAL-Flight to Hong Kong (by the way JAL is a really nice airline, good food -
as airline food goes and very pleasant staff, both on the ground and in the
air). Over the years I have gotten to know Joseph well and in spite of his
obsession with mint cameras, he is a really nice guy. He is also one of the
more dedicated Leica-nuts you can find (as well as a car-nut) and his wife
Sarah is a wine-importer and sommelier. Not a bad recipe for a visit!
 Hong Kong is a fascinating city, almost 10 million people crammed on to what
Queen Victoria once described as a "barren rock". It is also an incredible
fast paced city and you always run the risk of having footprints up your back
and down your front if you don't watch out and the guy would probably not
even stop talking in either of his two cell-phones as he climbed over you! It
is a city built in both a horizontal and vertical fashion. Buildings shoot up
to 60-70 stories, ultra modern architecture, high speed commuter rail and
state-of the art escalators running up the mountainside! But at the same time
you can take a 30's style double-decker tram across Hong Kong, from Happy
Valley to Kennedy Town for a quarter or take the Star Ferry across to Kowloon
for the same price. Fellow LUGger Howard Cummer claims that the Star Ferry
probably reduces the rate of heart attacks considerably "For 10 minutes even
the most hyped-up local has to sit down and do nothing but relax".
 Joseph invited me to stay with them and I eagerly accepted. He and Sarah
live with other family members on the top of Victoria Peak in an incredible
mansion. The restoration was finished just months ago and it looks like a
19th century mansion but with all the modern conveniences. As it is one of
the very few houses on the famous Peak trail, the family cars are chosen for
their width rather than for size. Riding with Joseph in his Toyota MR2
roadster and watching joggers and pedestrians taking up a quick interest in
rock-climbing is fun. There are a couple of spots that leave less than 1-inch
clearance on each side of the car! The family driver once reversed the entire
800-meter stretch when he met another car! I thought that I was a good driver
but that is a stupendous feat! There are four "viscous" guard-dogs on the
property too - they soon had me figured out. Every morning I had to rub
bellies and scratch ears for 15 minutes although I suspect that if I had made
a threatening move, all that ever would have been left would be some teeth
marked Leica's and chewed up neck-straps. To get back on subject, evenings
were usually spent in Joseph's den playing with Leica's and in spite of
Joseph's statement that he would be deprived, I did pick up his last 0,58
M6's. It was the last one available for several weeks and I was only staying
for 5 days so I used that leverage on him. It worked and I have now been
shooting with it for the last 2 weeks and it is the closest thing to a M2
that I have found. Perfect frame for the 35, no other frame visible and if I
wanted to mount a 28 on it, I could see the framelines with glasses on! These
musings and discussions about Leica was accompanied by extremely good wines
supplied by Sarah. This beats hanging out in cramped camera stores by a wide
margin.
 On one of our forays into the streets, Joseph and I heard, what was
obviously a politician trying to rally voters to his cause. Once we got
closer we realised that it was fellow LUGger Chris Chung who is running for
Council member in the December 10 election, standing on the sidewalk with a
bullhorn. He decided that he could stop canvassing for a moment or two and
discuss Leica's with us instead. He did turn the bullhorn off, but maybe,
considering the Hong Kong population's fascination with high end products, he
should have left it on!
 There is a marked difference in style when it comes to selling cameras in
Tokyo and Hong Kong. Tokyo's camera stores, at least the ones with high end
products are usually situated on the major streets and easily spotted. In
Hong Kong, you start descending into dimly lit arcades and strange little
alleyways and suddenly you are at an Aladdin's cave of cameras. Shop-windows
jam-packed with Leica, Nikon, Contax and just about anything else you can
imagine. There is another difference, in Tokyo the price marked is the price
you pay and in Hong Kong, it is usually dependant whose bladder gives up
first. You drink tea (green tea is a known diuretic) and negotiate, drink
more tea and negotiate and in the end you either walk cross legged to the
nearest washroom or pre-empt this by buying the piece and then, slightly less
cross-legged head for the washroom. It really does not matter if it is a
black paint M6 "Year of the Dragon" or a spare lenscap you are buying, the
process is the same. I saw some truly nice pieces in our rounds, a Contarex
with Motor, a IIIa with the two-speed Mooly, a 90/1 Elcan lens as well as a
set of black paint Nikon S, S2 and S3's as well as 100's of M2, M3 and M4's.
Prices are lower than in Tokyo, but condition is also less pristine in most
cases. The extremely high humidity in Hong Kong causes fungus to grow and
also rots out the curtains. Most cameras are kept in "humidity controlled"
cabinets and those are OK, but always check before buying.

to be continued in Part 2 of "Hong Kong Hospitality"
Tom A