Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: BE NICE!
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:48:04 -0500

>"bloody" has appeared on messages here in the last year - since
>it's the same word for British audiences.

Dante,

"Bloody" in England is about the mildest expletive possible. The "F
word" is heard on the streets, but it is not considered any more polite
in the UK than it is in the US.

My understanding is that bloody is a corruption of "by our lady" - i.e.
refering to the Virgin Mary. The derivation, and connotation (which has
largely been lost anyway) are therefore completely different.

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from "Jim" <jimlong@inwave.com> ([Leica] Flash for M6)