Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #210 how nice we are (long)
From: D Dailey <ddailey@eskimo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:19:25 -0800

Dear listers, from an "outsider:;
I am fairly new to this list.  I enjoy it a lot.  You really are a polite group with just a couple
rough spots once in a while.  I am glad to scan the posts and learn more.

An Example To Make All Of Us Feel Better...
I recently dropped off the VFR mailing list.  It is a motorcycle mailing list for folks who own Honda VFR 'cycles.
I dropped off because I got tired of EXTREME language, physical threats, one death threat, and LOTS of misinterpretation of comments among the listers.
MANY of these guys seemed to have nothing better to do than write each day criticizing each other and making rude personal attacks re: each others posts.  They were more intent on proving themselves right, and picking posts
apart, than upon getting their bikes right and picking up information on bikes.

I finally wrote off-line to the major offenders and online to the group that I didn't want this kind of abusive language and attitude coming into my home, AND where my daughter occasionally reads it ( she like motorcycles,
too).
I said I should not have to be forced off this public list because of the offensive behaviour of someone else... how would they like it if I gave the same kind of "f-----g  k-ll you fagg-t" talk to one of their daughters, or
them?  I was overwhelmed by replies that  I was a child abuser, that what I'd said was much worse than any of their comments... etc. etc.  Needless to say I dropped off the list. THIS LIST IS NOWHERE THAT BAD.  YOU ARE ALL
GOOD GUYS  :-)

However, I miss the technical motorcycle chat, I miss the good comments by the wise ones.  Too bad.  I hope this list does not get to be like that.  Thanks for policing yourselves.  Thanks for being artists and scientists.
Thanks for being adults.  Thanks for using two ears, and only one mouth.

Best regards,
Dave in Edmonds (WA, USA)