Subject: Re: [Leica] For Brian Reid (OT)
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:45:00 -0800

Every message ever delivered to every subscriber of the Leica-users
list has had in it the mailbox of the person who sent it.

If you use Microsoft software to read your mail, though, it works
hard to conceal this information from you. Instead of telling you who
sent the message, it tells you who delivered the message, and then says
"on behalf of" but doesn't give the email address.

This is entirely a failing of Microsoft mail software. This behavior
(cloaking the identity of the message sender) is specifically and
directly against the published standards for Internet mail, and it is
also silly. Whenever possible, I urge people to graduate from Microsoft
mail software to something better.

Microsoft's motive is always the same: to force the world to use
Microsoft products everywhere. What they are doing here is trying to
create social pressure on people who run mail servers (like the
Leica-Users list) to use Microsoft software in the mail server. When a
Microsoft mail-reading program is processing a mail message that was
delivered by a Microsoft mail server, it does the right thing.  In
other cases (such as the mail software that I use) it does this awful
thing.

Brian Reid