Subject: Re: [Leica] Vulcanite + replacement leather
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 10:43:49 -0500

For All,

Do NOT try and remove the vulcanite from your Leica with the hopes of keeping it in one piece. Vulcanite is extremely brittle when it has degraded to
the point where it chips off the camera. It may not look brittle when it is held firmly against the camera, but I can assure you that most vulcanite
is brittle after 50 years.  I have a 1947 IIIc in front of me right now where 80% of the vulcanite has come off and the remaining 20% is only hanging
on because an edge is tucked under the slow speed dial.  Removing vulcanite in one piece would be like trying to stretch a piece of holiday ribbon
candy - it's that fragile.  There is also no evidence of any adhesive having been used to attach the vulcanite at the factory on this model IIIc.  If,
in fact, there are some Leicas with vulcanite that was glued on by the factory, then Leitz may have modified their vulcanite attachment procedures
over the years. That may explain why some cameras don't have any problems; along with the nose and hand oils previously mentioned.

I have a IIIA, and the IIIc, waiting for perfectly textured replacement leather, which I haven't purchased yet.  Has anyone purchased the diecut
replacement leather that Stephen Shuart is selling?  How does it look compared to the material Fargo sells?

Regards,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY

Replies: Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Vulcanite + replacement leather)