Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Zeiss LTM Sonnar lens
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:16:44 -0500

Doug-
Aluminum does tend to get a 'grungy' look after a while, but the helices
should be brass- I have a Jupiter 135 that is aluminium but the helix is
brass- since I got it for only $30, I figured I could explore- finally got
it all back together, too!
Once the Lubricant has been restored, I think you will find it a pretty
decent optic. I know I might anger a few of the LUG, but Zeiss and Schneider
would not have lasted as long as they have if they made crappy optics!
Like the old saying goes, "I am blind in one eye, and can't half see out the
other...." To me, The Zeiss and Schneider optics I've had, particularly from
cameras of similar age, were comaparable to Leica glass- with the film I
use, and the way I print- usually no larger than 8x10 inches, they all look
good!
In fact, I like them to such a degree, I broke down and bought another
Rollei 2,8D, after swearing that I would stick to 35mm from now on! I got a
Rolleikin, and since I don't have a 75mm Leica lens, I'll do some portraits
with the Rollei when the 90 Elmar is not apropos!
Good Luck! (HAppy Thanksgiving, too)
Dan