Subject: [Leica] Re: Fair prices for R wide-angle lenses?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:52:13 -0800 (PST)

Dear LUG,

I have a chance to buy, from a dealer here in Jakarta, Indonesia, two
used Leica R (3 cam) lenses. Both look to be in as-new condition, there
are no signs of use and the glass seems flawless. Front and rear Leitz
lens caps are included.

One is a 24mm/2.8 Elmarit, serial # 3429XXX. Asking price is US$815.
The other, complete with box, leather case and warranty card, is a
35mm/2.0 Summicron, serial # 3476XXX. Asking price is US$700. The
dealer will not consider reducing his prices because he says he can't
afford to go lower. Incidentally, from talking to some of his customers
I gather he has a good reputation here and is a member of the local
Leica Club.

I'm inclined to buy both of these lenses, since they would very nicely
fill an important gap (to me) in my existing range of prime R lenses.
Leica equipment does not appear on the used market here all that often
and I wouldn't like to miss a good opportunity. So, I would welcome
people's opinions on this deal and whether I can expect these lenses to
give good performance (assuming they are in the condition I think they
are). Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards,

=====
Ray