Subject: [Leica] Hermes & Leica
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:02:22 -0500

I am not worried...yet.
In a previous life I was a professional wine taster (a dirty job but somebody's gotta
do it) and I still follow the industry. In the past few years a few huge companies
have bought up small, top-notch wine making properties. While these acquisitions at
first deeply offended the sensibilities of the traditionalist camp, the results from
a quality perspective AND from a marketing perspective have been laudable.
I'm thinking about the purchase of Weingut Robert Weil  in Kiedrich (since the 1700s)
by Japanese distillery giant Suntory. Weil's wines have since gone on to become the
best in Germany. I feel lucky when I get the chance to taste them.
The takeover last year of Chateau d'Yquem by the Louis Vuitton/Moet Hennesy group was
contested by one branch of the Lur Saluces family, while the rest sold to the
handbag/cognac/champagne conglomerate. The new owners haven't changed a thing at the
property, even keeping the objecting shareholders on staff.
While the analogies are not perfect, I don't think Hermes (or anyone else) would buy
into Leica in order to destroy it by devaluing what it produces. They're looking for
a way to broaden their own image by associating themselves with a top-quality leader
in an industry they haven't got a connection with, yes, but they probably see an
opportunity to cross-market some products.
Given that Solms and Wetzlar have a history of producing a periodic stream of bijoux
products (going back to the Luxus of 1929) this isn't as outrageous as some are
suggesting.  I suspect Leica will benefit from the association as much as Hermes, and
if this gets them money to do some innovative R&D, I'd say - "Lafayette, we are
here!"

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Hermes & Leica)