Subject: Re: [Leica] New Guy With Basic Question
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:27:08 +0100

Warm welcome to another newbie! :)

> Which Leica model would fit these requirements:

> High resolution photos
Leica model? Lenses are what counts, and these are 2 main
families: screw mount and M (bayonet) mount.
I am a screwmount (IIIc) Leicas user and has nothing
to complain about sharpness of my lenses (doing 8x10 on APX25)

>2. Light
Every (maybe except M5?), watch out for lenses (my Summitar
weighs over 250 g :)

>3  smallish
Leica CL? But every one is very small from SLR user
point of view (view camera user even more :) )

>4  easy to use
??? If my IIIc has my trusty Jupiter 12 (2.8/35) set on f/8
and distance on 4 mtr then all I have to do is to point and shoot ;)))

>5  maybe takes a wide angle angle lens
Every one (M5 and CL/CLE will limit using non-retrofocus
design lenses because of their weirdy :) metering system)
Wide angle Voigtlanders for example are small and screwmount,
so my IIIc shines again (no adapter :-)

>6  maybe takes a telephoto lens
to 135mm simply plug&play on any Leica (short rangefinder
base on CL/CLE will limit accuracy a little). Above this
you can use Visoflex, transforming your pretty rangefinder
into ugly SLR :)

7  want an excellent functioning camera
    rangefinder or smaller slr
???

>8 Any other cameras like Contax G1 G2 etc.?????
G1 and G2 are autofocus little noisy bastardy plasticky
gizmos taking good glass in stupid mount and w/o DOF scale <g>
What opinion do you expect from a Leica user????? <g>

>Which is the best camera in the world for me? (kidding)
Nobody will help you. It is deeply personal.
If you want something little, way faster than any SLR,
quiet and very well done - get a Leica. Want some smiles
from people you are photographing - get a Leica. Want something
to travel with you everywhere - get a Leica.
Want to look professionally... :)

>As you can see I am learning about the Leicas
> -CUT-
You really should try Leica..

More on priv if you please :)
- -----