Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica AG, Hermes handbags!!
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:32:05 -0500

Leica's worth less that US$42mm?

It's interesting - 30% is more than a controlling interest in most
publicly-traded companies.  Once those shares are in play, you have to sell, as
there is a distinct possibility that if Hermes and Leica later merge (which is
fairly easy when Hermes has the controlling interest) and you didn't sell, your
stock may be cancelled altogether.  Or, since Leica is now "in play," Minolta or
others could come in with their own tender offer(s) for 30% or more, at higher
prices.

The "entrepreneurial partnership" was one of the ways Daimler-Benz introduced a
merger to Chrysler's shareholders.  Unlike that deal, Hermes has nothing to
offer Leica, at least related to Leica's core business - shall we make scarves
and neckties with little Ms on them - except dilution of its brand name and a
possible commemorative M6.  Or, Hermes could be after the name recognition only,
shut down Leica's entire inhouse manufacturing division, and subcontract all
manufacturing to Japan or China.  Such a deal could spell death for the M
series.  Do you really want Leica's future decided by a company with no
photographic expertise?

The fact that Leica leadership would go for such a deal points to some kind of
more serious problem - like the Leica board getting ready to boot Cohn for not
maintaining or increasing shareholder value.

Message from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Leica AG, Hermes handbags!!)