Subject: Re: [Leica] HP-5 Plus
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:24:52 +0200

>I haven't used Tri-X in several years.  I have recently used HP-5Plus
>recently in 35mm and 120.   I have tried both Acufine and D-76 at recommend
>film ISO speed and chemical time and temperature.
>
>The grain has been so large, that I am considering push processing slower
>emulsions when I need a speed of around ISO 200.   I will probably use
>either Plus-X or more likely FP-4Plus.
>
>Has anyone found the same grain problem?  What experience have some of you
had in exposing FP-4Plus at ISO 200?

>I would like to get fine grain results using my Noctilux in dim light.
>
>Roland Smith
>roland@dnai.com

I have recently tried 35 mm FP4+ at E.I. 200 in Ilfosol 1+9,  the
developer particularly recommended by Ilford for this film. (Ilfosol
is said to be liquid ID11 which in turn is said to be identical to
D76.) This combination has less efffective speed than Delta 100 in
Xtol 1+1 shot at 200 when both films are processed at recommended
times and temperatures. The difference is about one stop, but more
pronounced in shadow areas (where it is more important than in the
highlights) as clearly shown when using a densiometer to measure a
series of  zone system grey card exposures. This speed difference
really makes further comparison not quite evenhanded, but I will do
it anyway.

Delta looks much sharper at 16x enlargement and you have the
impression of seeing a harder grain structure than on FP4. FP4 is
smoother but murkier. I will stick to Delta 100 at 200 in Xtol 1+1
or, if I want that super sharp look,  __enhanced__ by nice grain,  at
100 in Rodinal 1+50.

So before we get further into taste I will stop. My recommendation
would be: LEARN TO LOVE GRAIN if you want to take pictures in low
light. Try Rodinal 1+25 for 10 min when you shoot HP5 at 800. Not a
combination if  want to prove that your film can record a whole
newspaper page on 24x36mm, but something to show low light
atmoshphere. But I don't have a Nocilux, not even a Summilux, so who
am I to tell??

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist