Subject: Re: [Leica] Zzzzz... OT: Hexar RF focusing
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:01:37 -0700

I thought myself that the focusing errors with the 90/2.8 were due to a
rangefinder that needed adjustment. PopPhoto, though, almost never mentions
a negative comment and then only in a casual off hand manner. To point
something out the way they pointed out the persistent light fall off, means
it was serious indeed. They would be familiar with the normal light fall off
due to optical design constraints. I feel that this problem is endemic not
systemic as others that I trust have given the 28/2.8 glowing reviews. Once
again, I feel, this shows poor QC on Konica's part.

We have a high concentration of Leica users on this list and the so we hear
many QC problems about Leica that I seldom hear in the normal photo
community. Konica's QC problems have been very pronounced and persistent in
the normal photo community. It is understandable in a way as they have not
made a coupled rangefinder camera for many years. What I do not find
acceptable is the fact that they copied the Leica mount and rangefinder,
with Leica's assistance, and then refuse to address ordinary compatibility
issues. Some Konica distributor's seem to have a better attitude, and if
they all start providing good support I can see a rosy future for the
camera.

Now if they would just release the 50/1.2 as a regular production lens! :-)

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Zzzzz... OT: Hexar RF focusing)