Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Ball- or 3 way-head
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 08:51:19 -0500

Jim,

You write:
> I use small and large Gitzo carbon fiber tripods. I also use the new Gitzo
> magnesium ball and three way pan heads.
>
> The 3 series large carbon tripod plus three way (G1371M) magnesium head
> weighs a pittance compared to the steel Gitzo of the same size and the
> steel three way and B1 heads that I used to use. B-I-G B-I-G
> difference!
>
> My miniature Gitzo carbon fiber tripod fitted with the new Gitzo (G1377M)
> magnesium centre ball head, which I use with my M & R cameras, is really
> easy to carry and use. The Hasselblad works on this as well.

But the G1371M weights 2.3 lbs, the G1377M weights 1.9 lbs, and the
Arca-Swiss B1 (w/ quick release) weighs only 1.7 lbs.  The Linhof Prof III
is the heaviest: 2.8 lbs (it's price is the heaviest, too!).  But I don't
see the weight savings of the Gitzo magnesium heads over the Arca-Swiss (or
am I missing something?).

You _can_ buy both Gitzo heads you mentioned for the prize of the Arca-Swiss
B1 alone.

Dan