Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:06:36 EST

In a message dated 11/17/00 2:00:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
images@InfoAve.Net writes:

<< I learn a lot here, too, John; but I'm not about to start using
 filters!  Even one photo lost to reflections or flare is too many. >>

    Right.  A truly important photographic moment may prove to have been
unique, therefore not repeatable.  However, a lens, albeit as outstanding and
expensive as a Noctilux, usually is repairable or replaceable.
    If one is committed to learning and exploiting anything like the full
potential of such a lens, a calculated risk is acceptable.  Concern with loss
of value indicates that one intends not to keep the lens but to sell it.
    Each photographer must at some point address the question of priorities.
Is the true value of the lens to a given owner in what it can do or the price
for which it was purchased or will be sold?
    It is in fact a personal decision, really not subject to meaningful
debate.  As I said before, yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice.
Obviously, certain lines may be drawn.  It may be legitimate, for example, to
distinguish among dealers, testers, collectors and photographers.  They do
different things with different goals and purposes in mind.  Photographers
tend to concentrate on making photographs, rendering other concerns secondary
- - not necessarily irrelevant, but clearly secondary.

Joe Sobel