Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Contax impressions (N1 and others)
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 19:14:27 -0500

Paul,

> If you're going Contax SLR manual focus, how about the Aria?

I tried it, but much prefered the RTS.  I like a heavier body--it usually
gains you a stop or two in hand-held use with longer lenses.  The Aria felt
something akin to an EOS Rebel 2000 or Elan II; nice enough, but very, very
light.  It has quite a unique shutter sound/feel as well; it has to be
experienced to be appreciated.

> (Dan, will this non-Leica discourse get quashed by other LUGers?).

Well, I wouldn't much blame them.  This _is_ a Leica list, after all.  But
I've kept is slightly pertinent by voicing my preference for the venerable
R8 over all these Contax bodies. :)

I should qualify that a bit: I don't much care for the bulky R8 winder; it's
the one thing I would change on that body if I had my druthers (and, of
course, it's optional).  I also don't much care for the cost of Leica R
glass--but I understand why it's at a premium.  Now, if only you could mount
those fine manual zeiss lenses on an R8 body (the ultimate heresy, no
doubt!).

I have to say that I was much impressed with the 645.  If I bought one, I'd
probably put in the split-image screen and use the lenses manually rather
than rely on the (in my opinion) rather klutzy and slow AF.  But the body is
one of the more ergonomic MF cameras I've ever held.

Dan