Subject: Re: [Leica] Martin Parr
From: Dean Chance <mreyebal@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:32:27 +0000

on 11/18/00 3:36 AM, Kam at kamm@netvigator.com wrote:

> Parr has been controversial within Magnum.  It was said that HCB, who did
> not attend the annual meeting in which Parr was admitted, got really upset
> when he learnt that Parr had been admitted to Magnum (for details of the
> story, see Magnum: Fifty Years at the Front Line of History).
>
> Regards,
> Kam

Parr is very influential right now - even within Magnum. Several Magnum
photographers have integrated some of Parr's ideas/style into their own
work. This is apparent is the "England at the Millennium" project, which
featured the work of a dozen or so Magnum members.
Of course, the bulk of Magnum photographers, particularly the old guard,
believe that Parr is a parasite who is destroying the host organism from
within.
This kind of controversy is good for Magnum, I feel. They have been on a
high horse for decades about "concerned" photography, but have often gotten
stuck in making cliched photos of war, poor people in the third world, etc.
Parr's opinion is that people like Philip Jones-Griffth exploit as much as
he does, but that PJG has convinced himself that he does it in the name of
making the world a better place.
I enjoy seeing everybody get stressed about Eggleston, by the way. I like
some of his pictures, but the whole body of work is not my favorite. I don't
agree with personal attacks, but I don't mind hearing from people who do not
share my opinions about good work. I learn more. If everyone agreed with me,
the LUG would not be necessary. In fact, there is a Chinese proverb that
says "if two people agree on everything, one of them is not necessary."
Cheers to all.