Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:50:04 -0700

Tina,

Are you using the meter as a reflected meter or an incident meter? If you
are using it as an incident meter, you may be shading the dome slightly with
the filter rim and your hand. I just repeated your experiment with the same
meter in reflective mode, ISO 3200 and the speed set at 125th (f stop was
1.4 and 4/10ths). The UV filter reduces light by 1/10 of a stop. I tried two
different types of B+W UV filter, one single coated and one multicoated and
got the same results both times.

Now none of this is to encourage you to use UV filters! I do not use them
(except in salt spray or in sandy wind). Nor is this intended as
instruction!! I do would never give you, Ted, Jim, Mike and others
advice!!!!!!!!!!! I only continue to subscribe so I can get the pearls of
photographic wisdom that you Olympian Photographers pass on to us mere
mortals

Humbly yours,

John Collier