Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux vs. Summicron
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:58:44 -0500

Simon wrote:
>[ snip / Noctilux thread ]
>Have you ever run into a situation where a one stop difference in
shutter speed has made the difference between an >acceptably sharp
subject (say a person engaged in converstation) and an unnacceptably
blurry one?

 And Andre Jean Quintal wrote:

- --> Simon,
>You must also take account of the fact that at f/1, the depth of field
at close ranges measures in rather short inches .. AND of >the CREATIVE
POTENTIAL of this lens as medium, not just as a vile means to an end.

               (SNIP)

>Could you see yourself re-equipped with a LEICA Noctilux ? Start
visualizing !

Hi Andre:

Absolutely, I am considering a Noctilux. It's just a matter of $, but it
is on the list for sure. When I get it will undoubtedly open up
possibilities of all types which are impossible for me now & I can't
wait to own one.

Having said this, I pretty much consider all of my cameras and lenses
"means to an end" and I don't see anything remotely vile in that. Nice
as Leica glass is, I'm afraid that referring to a particular lens as a
"medium" strikes me as just a little over the top. To me, the creative
potential is in the photographer and the lens, any lens, even a "LEICA"
lens, is just a tool.

Regards,

Simon Stevens