Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:18:23 -0500

Tina et al.,

I would be very curious to know how much "measurably less" light you get after putting a UV filter on your Noctilux.  Theoretically it should be so
small that it wouldn't be measurable with an ordinary camera or hand-held light meter.  If you have the time to test it, I would be quite curious.

I just did a test using my 50mm f0.95 Canon lens.  The chrome ring containing the rear element fit perfectly around the flat diffuser of my Minolta
Flash meter which reads in 1/10th f stops.  I set the lens down on top of the meter (no it didn't touch the back element of the lens) and made
measurements with and without a 72mm L37C Nikon UV filter in front of the lens, and there was no difference in the reading.   Any difference you might
have noticed must have been due to some other factor or was less than 1/10th of an f stop.  I also removed the flat diffuser from the meter and had
the lens project it's light directly onto the sensor.  Still no difference.

If by chance a 1A/skytlight filter is put in front of the lens, which has a very slight amber/yellow tint, you will lose about 2/10ths of a stop of
light according to my Minolta meter's reading.

Anyone else have any thoughts on whether a UV filter cuts out a measurable amount of light?

Regards,

Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??)