Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UV filter for Noctilux
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:43:32 -0600

I just can't imagine putting a piece of
glass in front of the lens that I paid megabucks for because of the lens
quality and the light gathering ability.  You might as well shoot all of
your photos through a window.
<<<<<<<<<<

I'm not a Noctilux user, so I fully admit I know only what I read.
But, like many on this list, I find Erwin's writings among the best
source for info on things Leica. And I understand Erwin's words on a
filtered Noctilux to be that in most circumstances (strong
backlighting being a noted exception) it won't make a lick of
difference. To wit, the following is quoted from Erwin's review of
the Noctilux (first published in "Photo Techniques") at
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/testm/M10-50.html :

"The factory advises againt the use of filters. We have a UV filter
premanently in front of the lens to protect its large front glass and
do normally not notice any adverse effects. In strong backlighting
the reflections can become a disturbing factor. When the best image
quality is needed, you are well advised to take the filter off."