Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UV filter for Noctilux
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:16:11 EST

In a message dated 11/16/00 10:16:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
images@InfoAve.Net writes:

<< Are you buying the lens to resell it or to use it?  I buy my lenses to use
 them.  You admit that the cleaning marks on your lens result in no
 degradation to the image.  Leica lens surfaces are tough and can take a lot
 more abuse than you can imagine.  I just can't imagine putting a piece of
 glass in front of the lens that I paid megabucks for because of the lens
 quality and the light gathering ability.  You might as well shoot all of
 your photos through a window.

    If I may add what I hope will be useful information, my recollection from
having read Erwin's website review of the Noctilux is that Leica recommends
against using such filters because of likely image degradation.
    This concern would be of importance particularly under circumstances
where concentrated light sources such as distant spots or nearby candles can
and often do cause reflections between the inner surface of the filter and
the lens itself.  Despite the unusually high resistance of the lens to
veiling glare and the use of multicoated filters, such reflections or veiling
glare cannot evidently be eliminated.
    Please do not rely on my translation, but read Erwin's review and any
related materials available.  Of course, if you are inclined to risk the
contempt of your peers and use the lens in brighter light, at apertures of,
say 5.6 or even smaller, this caveat may be inapplicable.
    To sum up, one might conclude that it would indeed be prudent to use a
filter in the middle of a sandstorm at f/1, preferably on your carbon fiber
tripod with titanium ball head, and keep it on to shoot at f/16 in full
desert sunlight after the storm subsides.  This would also present a rare
opportunity to note the effects of sand on the tripod/head combination.  The
following are added as a disclaimer, for the more literal-minded among us,
specifically with regard to this final paragraph: (:(:(:(:(:

Joe Sobel