Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA R 50mm Lenses
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 08:16:28 -0800

On Thu, 16 November 2000, Krechtz@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/15/00 10:02:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> telyt560@cswebmail.com writes:
>
> << The current lenses, both Summicron-R and Summilux-R, are among the best
> SLR optics ever made in that focal length.  Previous versions of the
> Summilux-R (E55 or Series VII filters) are considered adequate but not among
> the best of their contemporaries.  Older Summicron-R lenses are quite good
> but at the widest apertures show more light fall-off than the current (E55
> filter) version. >>
>
> In your experience, would this apply with equal validity to the 35 mm
> Summicron and  Summilux lenses?
>
> Joe Sobel

Joe,

I don't know about the 35mm Summilux-R but for the 35mm Summicron-R, definitely yes.  The early version (Canada) was big & bulky and delivered excellent results while the current version (Germany, E55 filter) is not as big and improves on the performance of the Canadian version.  Aside from the detail rendition under ordinary light, the E55 version shows hardly any flare even under the most difficult lighting conditions.  For example, people lit by a Coleman lantern at night, with the lantern in the photo.

I think Mike Johnston has found some situations where reflections popped up when the light source was outside the image area, but I wonder if this was caused by the image of the light source reflecting off a surface in the camera's mirror box.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento