Subject: [Leica] Re: RE: Ball- or 3 way-head
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:51:17 -0800

At 12:58 PM 11/15/00 -0500, Dan Post wrote:
>KOWA-BUNGA!
>I wonder, and I wonder- Why would anyone want to use a light weight tripod?
>I thought the whole idea of the tripod was to create a heavy, stable, not to
>shake rattle roll or quiver in the wind platform so that the image would be
>as sharp as possible?
>I miss my big ole clunky Star-D, looks like a Tiltall, heavier than dirt
>tripod for that reason!
>
>Dan ( I want something sturdy, heavy and dependable for as long as the wind
>blows, the water flows, the grass grows, and the sky is blue....) Post

Turns out that both wood and carbon fiber are better than the venerable
heavy steel, step on a crack break your mothers back, tripod. They are
dampening to camera vibrations. Carbon fiber winning over wood. When that
ol' mirror slaps up there and the first curtain opens, the composite legs
absorb the vibrations rather than resonating and echoing them right back
into the camera before the shutter has time to close. 1/15, 1/12, 1/8, 1/6,
1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1/1 are the vulnerable deadly speeds. Especially with things
like Pentax 6x7 and the like. A fiery horse with a speed of light, A cloud
of dust, and a hearty "Hi-Yo, Silver," in rides the Carbon Fiber tripod.

The TV/movie-documentary chaps and chappetts discovered this a few years
ago and have extolled their virtues ever since. Us still folks are slow to
catch the wave.

Jim