Subject: Re: [Leica] Empiricism
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:47:32 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> Dan Cardish jotted down the following:
>
> > What you seem to be implying here is that the sensitometry route a la Phil
> > Davis is not the way to go, that it is preferable to put away the
> > densitometers and simply use your eyes to do the testing.
>
> Huh!?  OK, Mike doesn't need defending by me, but how on Earth did you
> manage to draw that conclusion from what he wrote?  Mike wrote about how
> people prefer to speculate and conjecture, rather than gathering facts.
> They'll use opinion, heresay, or myth as the basis for their own decisions,
> rather than actually putting a lens to the test, doing a small study, or
> otherwise try to find some factual basis.  Sensitometry falls under
> gathering facts.  As opposed to, say, using split-filtering Multigrade fibre
> developed in Kodak developer, and bleaching each print because that's what
> Famous Photographer X was reported to always do.
>
> M.

So the gathering of opinions instead of gathering facts?
If that's the case let me write in a vote for the latter! PUNCH! OOPS!
These people who say stuff like "how well does Delta print on Multigrade?"
How many opinions do you need before you get around to giving it shot yourself?
as someone quoted someone from another list who had gotten it from someone else said:
"A simple test is worth a thousand opinions!"
mark rabiner
:)
http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
Don't worry be happy!