Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux vs Summicron
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:03:18 -0800

Hi folks,

What is really interesting with this comparison thing is, that years ago there
wasn't this internet connection, no one really did the comparisons we see today.
We bought Leica lenses because they were the best, therefore we expected the best
in our picture taking to use them, we thought the pictures were bloody marvelous,
we of course thinking the Leica made the image better. ;-)

Well it did to some degree, but we never took into account that it was us holding
the camera and not the twitchies per mm that is so often quoted these days that
makes the picture better.

I always bought Leica lenses for the aperture speed and not what it cut on film,
hell we never really knew about that stuff as we were picture taking
photographers and not techie nuts!

So as I see the communications today about which will do whatever and stop down
or not,  I find it strange, simply because if one buys a Noctilux you buy it
because it allows you to shoot where others fear to tread. Yes those with a 1.4
lens can shoot in the same kind of light conditions, but usually at sacrificing
of shutter speeds where this could spell disaster with camera shake or complete
loss of understandable subject.

I'm not sure what the problem is with stopping down as the Noctilux is a very
fine lens stopped down and an earth shaking lens wide open. The simple logic is,
there are some photographers who completely live by f8.0 and be there, they gotta
be stopped down!  Then there are others who just use the apertures as they were
intended, to control the light for the correct exposure regardless of  f1.0 or
22.

If any of you think I've used my Noctilux for the past umpteen years, well since
the f 1.0 arrived on the scene, wide open all these years, you're sadly mistaken
simply because it's been used for the correct exposure at the moment, be that f
1.0 or f 22. And I might say with very nice results, well that is the content, as
I never do a squiggly lines per mm each time I look at a slide or print. ;-)

Sorry this rambles, but if some of you guys were more concerned about just taking
pictures rather than the squigglies per mm you'd save yourselves a great deal of
worry and have a great deal of wonderful pictures where others wouldn't even
think of taking pictures.

ted