Subject: Re: [Leica] gigabit film
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:22:48 +0200

>	Gigabit sounds really exciting.
>	If this film is as good as the examples on the web indicate, It
>will be the most important contribution to B&W photography in many moons.
>More important than anything Leica or any other camera manufacturer has
>done.
>	Does anyone know what the edge sharpnes is like.  I tried to
>understand Erwin's discussion of sharpness but got completely lost. How
>does the shaprness compare with Tri-X or Delta 400 for example?
>Jay Goldman

The printed (printed in a magazine that is, high class repro though)
evidence of what Gigabit film can  is stunning.  Comparisons of
Gigabit film with Tri-X or Delta 400 are a bit meaningless, they are
not in the same league. It is like comparing a dentist's drill with
Black and Decker. Both are good for what they are made for but I
would not like the dentist to use his Black and Decker on me.

I read a comparison of 40x enlargement with Tech Pan (evidence was
shown) saying that on the originals you can clearly see the
difference without using a loupe. I thought that was a good argument
not only because it saves my eyes, it is also the real acid test.
Proven in real life circumstances. The difference was clearly seen in
the reproduction too. Sure, Gigabit was the 'winner'. The color
rendering is of course different too, Gigabit being more of a normal
panchromatic film than TP.

And they (purposely) used a run of the mill SLRs with a standard 35
mm lens for the test. If the difference between Gigabit and other
films will be smaller or larger when using Leicas, that will be
interesting to see. Perhaps the difference will be smaller. This film
appears to be radically different from other films and I think we
will have to re-learn a few things before we get the most out of it.

My main supplier already has the sheeet film, and as soon as they get
the 35 mm version it will be in and out of my Leica and ditto with
regard to my Paterson tank, and then I will know a little bit more. I
will let you know. But getting everything out of that film will take
some work.

Chris

- --
Christer Almqvist