Subject: [Leica] Pepperminty cameras
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:36:42 -0600

> while i see the dilemma you've pointed out (i.e. how else would you
> describe such an item), i do think that labelling a damaged camera 'mint -'
> is going more than a little too far. there are plenty of ways to assure
> potential bidders that the camera in perfect in every way *except* for the
> two dents, without obliquely lying about it.
>
> guy

Guy,
I have to agree. "Grading inflation" is a brief two-step shuffle away from
fraud.

I bought an R4s on eBay last summer that was described as being "9 on a 10
scale." When the camera arrived, it was dirty, well worn, had touch-up marks
here and there, and the eyepiece was caved in. I had paid for overnight
mail, and although the seller did offer a refund, he refused to remburse me
for that expense.

When I complained that I would never have paid for overnight mail if I had
suspected that the camera would arrive in unusable condition, he explained
to me that they were a professional camera shop and that, for them, "9" was
at least 4 grades down from perfect, because there was 9+, 10-, 10, and
mint- before you got to mint.

The real dilemma can be seen when people have things to sell that actually
ARE "mint." They're obliged to describe at greater length, and by conveying
enthusiasm and conviction, that their piece really IS nice.

The whole concept of "mint" is ridiculous IMO. It was intended to mean a
camera that is LN but without the box or accessories it was originally sold
with. Now it's applied to just about everything that isn't actually broken.
Four grades down from 10 by my arithmetic is 6, and 6 would have more
accurately described the camera I was sent. And 10 on a 10 scale should mean
the SAME THING as "mint," not be one step below mint minus.

I just get around this by describing equipment in specific detail, then
offering the buyer an unconditional warrantee: the buyer can return it
within a certain time period for any reason, or for no reason. Bottom line
is, if he's not comfortable with it, then it's not a good sale.

Of course this isn't always ideal either: the last M6 I sold went to
Australia, and the shipping was more than $80! The guy could have been out
$160 if he hadn't been pleased with the camera. That's a pretty high price
to pay for a privilege most camera stores give you for free if you walk in
off the street.

- --Mike