Subject: Re: [Leica] Ebay Bargain Item #494433260
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:02:25 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2000 1:42:05 AM Central Standard Time,
guybnt@idt.net writes:

<< >You got it Wilber, how else would you describe a car in showroom condition
 >with a dent?
 >I would describe it "in showroom condition save for a dent"... Which means
 >that aside of the dent, the rest of the car's appearance is  showroom.
 >If a mint camera is dropped and has a dent, would you not call it a camera
 >with a dent that would otherwise be mint? Obviously it is no longer *mint*
 >but how else would you describe its condition?
 >
 >Joe Codispoti

 joe,

 how about this:

 "leica mX, in perfect mechanical condition; everything operates exactly as
 it should. shutter speeds are all right on, even the slow ones (well, we
 can dream can't we?), the viewfinder is clear and bright, the rangefinder
 functions beautifully and the coincident image is clearly visible, even in
 low light. cosmetically, the leather (or whatever that stuff is called) is
 clean and intact with no cracking. baseplate clean save for the inevitable
 light scratches around the tripod socket. the one flaw that keeps this from
 being a mint - camera: there two dents in the top plate. they do not effect
 the mechanical functioning of the camera in any way. try it for yourself
 and see. i offer a 5 day return period. if you are not satisfied with your
 pruchase i will refund your money, less ebay costs."

 while i see the dilemma you've pointed out (i.e. how else would you
 describe such an item), i do think that labelling a damaged camera 'mint -'
 is going more than a little too far. there are plenty of ways to assure
 potential bidders that the camera in perfect in every way *except* for the
 two dents, without obliquely lying about it.

 guy

Is this the one that fell off the tripod?

DR.