Subject: [Leica] Vario Performance
From: "Erwin Puts" <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:57:40 +0100

It was asked:
I once heard from a couple of dealers that the German version of the
35-70/3.5 Vario-Elmar is better than the current 35-70/4 in optical
performance.  Is it true?  As far as I know and have heard, the German
version has the same optical design as the Japanese version of f3.5, which
means that they are the same in optical performance and that the current f4
is hands down winner in image quality.

These dealers might know better. The 4/35-70 is a new Solms design with an
aspherical lens and a fully different optical layout than the Japanese-based
3.5/35-70. The 3.5/35-70 is a very good lens, no doubt here, but is clearly
surpassed by the 4/35-70, especially in contrast and definition in the filed
and overall at the
wider settings (35 and 70).

Erwin

Replies: Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> ([Leica] FS - WTB a Series VII UVa filter; what is 14161 for???)