Subject: [Leica] Portrait by window light :-)
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:01:58 -0800

Hi Gang,
I thought you might find this interesting from a shoot the other day
photographing the CEO of a very large company.

Nothing like you, an R8, a couple of lenses and a window ! All you need
for a nice portrait. And the first question you are asked when arriving
at the location:   "Can we help you bring in your lighting equipment?"
:-)

"No thank you everything is right here."  "Oh, but other photographers
we've hired to photograph Mr...... have always brought a ton of lights
and people to set them up"

"Really? Thanks for the offer, but we have a window and lots of natural
light,  I'll just set up the tripod and be ready to shoot in a few
minutes".

R8, 100 2.8 macro, click, click locked on tripod and I'm ready and in
walks Mr......  "Oh sorry I thought you were ready, obviously not as I
don't see any lights!"  I say, "Yes sir all set, just sit over here,
thank you."

Me into camera, quick look,  Commenting about something out side the
window which I'd already picked to control the subjects eye line, "
Excuse me sir had you ever noticed the purple window ..etc. etc.."
The subject turns head and eyes directly to where I wanted him to look,
R8  goes clickity clickity and wham bam thank you mam! It's all over.

He's still sitting there and I say, "Ok sir thank you very much, looks
good."  He looks at me and says, "What do you mean, it's all over?"  I
assure him it's fine and thank you for your patience. He responds, " The
other photographers have lights all over the place, take dozens of
pictures, usually spoil my day with all their posing and re-posing
demands!"

He says to secretary. " If these pictures are as good as this fellows
confidence, I don't want to see any other photographers around here!"
:-)  Turns out he and staff were tickled pink with the results. Guess
what?  I now have a new client! Cool! :-) ;-)

Like I say, a Leica, a window and understanding light that's all!  Oh
yeah sorry, in this case also tripod! ;-)

Remember the old motto gang, "Keep it simple stupid!"

ted

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Leica R8 system to enhance an M system)